One person sustained injuries after fire broke out at a two-storey building in Wiwo Ona Tere Street, Apongbon, Lagos Island on Sunday morning.
The fire started from the top floor of the building and burnt down the entire floor before it was put out by emergency responders.
Witnesses said the inferno started around 7:51am in one of the apartments of the top floor before it spread to other flats.
A resident who pleaded anonymity said the fire started from a room where a neighbour was cooking.
“I was still sleeping when I heard that someone jumped down from the top floor and people in the street were already shouting thinking it was a thief. It was when we all went out that we saw smoke coming from upstairs. “We started waking other neighbours up so we could all evacuate the building and that was when we found out that our neighbour’s maid was cooking with gas inside the room and the gas exploded which caused the fire. Instead of her to shout for help, she shut the door and jumped out of the building critically injuring herself.
“We called the fire service who arrived around 8:24am and with the help of LASEMA who arrived around 8:43am along with the collective efforts of people in the street the fire was put out preventing the entire building from burning down,” he narrated. The Nation