Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Mr Muhammad Bello has assured those who sustained injuries in the Abuja building collapse incident on Friday of adequate emergency medical care.
The minister who visited the place to see rescue operations said efforts were ongoing to excavate the place and clear the rubble in order to rescue those trapped.
Activities in Jabi area of Abuja were put on hold as a four-storey building under construction collapsed at about 2:00pm.
The building is situated around Utako motor park, directly opposite Panda shopping mall.
Rescue workers comprising officers and men of the FCT and Federal Emergency management agencies as well as other rescue workers braved the rainfall to do the rescue operation.
As at last night, six persons had been rescued with various degrees of injuries.
The minister who was accompanied by the FCT Permanent Secretary, Mr Chinyeaka Ohaa said, “We’re working to get under the debris to get out all those that have been trapped there.
“And I’m very appreciative of the quick response of the emergency management agency and as you can see, they are doing a good job.
“The ambulances are here; what we need now is to support the rescue workers.
“We have placed selected hospitals on high alert and I have directed the hospitals to ensure diligent treatment of any of the victims brought in from the site. My prayer is that those that are trapped come out safe.”
Unconfirmed report had it that the building had been abandoned for 15 years and then the owner mobilized to site.
The minister promised that investigations will unravel the cause of the incident.